Monday, February 1, 2010

Independence day

AwesomeCloud decided to learn to walk last night. Maybe Nona tricked him into it a little. She wouldn't let him grab onto her, but held him under the arms and quietly let go while he was walking.

Three days ago I convinced him to stand up by himself. If he stands up, he gets to fall on his bum and shout, "Boom!" If I'm falling down and shouting "Boom!" too, I'm not available to pull him upright every time, so he has to stand up by himself.

So maybe his new standing-up skill primed him to walk by himself. The exercise of tossing the kid back and forth between us while sitting on the floor wasn't working. Early Intervention Lady and I tried to get him to walk between us. Also, Auntie DeeDee and Uncle Tim tried it, with lots of fun and giggling but not much actual walking success.

Today we tricked him into walking by himself a few more times, but he's not completely aware he has the skill yet. He still grabs for my hand when he wants to walk. He still needs a little trickery. But hey, I'll take it!

Maybe someday he'll need a toy on the other side of the room, and he'll need it sooo badly, and my hands are just too busy for him to grab, and so he'll pick himself up and walk to his toy himself.

Maybe tomorrow. Or next week.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the end of "my kid was a late walker too" stories. I have mixed feelings about those stories. On the one hand, it's reassuring to know AwsomeCloud has plenty of late-walking company. On the other hand, it's a little like commiserating with other owners of cats with cerebellar hypoplasia. There's a sense of camaraderie, but that camaraderie is based on a flaw in someone we love.

(Yes, we got the cat with CH on purpose, and I love her exactly how she is, and I'd get another cat with CH in a minute if/when the house has the extra room a CH cat requires (i.e. when Melody moves on to Kitty Heaven), but that doesn't mean I'm unaware of or unsympathetic to her disability.)

No comments:

Post a Comment