Monday, September 6, 2010

I RUINED "The Wheels on the Bus"

I admit it. I did. I ruined it.

I've never liked that song. It wasn't an old staple for me; in fact, I never heard it until my much younger sister learned it at her preschool or something. Or maybe my mother, who taught preschool for a while, added it to her repertoire at some point. Anyway, by the time I heard "The Wheels on the Bus" I was already far too old to appreciate the song.

It wasn't on my list of songs to sing AwesomeCloud. My own list of songs is a little odd, including such children's classics as I've Been Working on the Railroad, Sister Golden Hair, Boom Boom Pow, and the Chemical Brothers' Block Rockin' Beats. Recently I added Run Run Away by Slade. Well, the cover version by Great Big Sea, which essentially sounds the same, but sped up.

And Do You Know the Muffin Man - another recent addition.

The speech therapist introduced The Wheels on the Bus. She told me he enjoys it and suggested I sing it with him on my own.

Okay. We did so tonight. With the addition of socks. Hey, I was folding laundry. And all of a sudden, the socks on the bus were going swish, swish, swish. And the AwesomeCloud on the bus was doubling over in hysterics, wrapping himself in Daddy's extra-long swishy white tube socks.

The speech therapist won't be at all amused when she starts singing that song again and AwesomeCloud interrupts her to run and get a pair of pendulous socks. Because nobody can practice their speech when they're giggling that hard.

I ruined the song forever. And I'm (not the least bit) sorry.

1 comment:

  1. *grin* I love it. And a favorite in our house was always MC Hammer's "Hammer Time." Only we sang "Diaper Time." I know I should be embarrassed to admit that, but - oddly - I'm not.

    ReplyDelete