Monday, January 11, 2010

AwesomeCloud and the thumpin' pumpin' techno music

Last week, the Early Intervention lady came while we were eating lunch. That was okay. She had some high chair exercises for AwesomeCloud.

She showed him something musical, and was impressed by how happily he responded to it. AwesomeCloud is very, very musical.

"Do you want to hear his favorite song?" I asked her.

"Sure!" she said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Oh, yes, yes!" she said. "I would love to hear his favorite song."

"We'd better take him out of the high chair first," I warned. I scooped him up and carried him over to the Bose stereo. His eyes lit up and he gave a little wiggle. I pressed play.

The stereo said, "Right about now, the funk soul brother."

AwesomeCloud said, "Eeeeeeeeh!"

The EI lady's mouth made a little round O.

The stereo said, "Check it out now, the funk soul brother."

AwesomeCloud bounced. I stepped into the middle of the living room and showed the EI lady what the kiddo and I could do to a thumpin', pumpin' beat.

"Wow," she said when we were done. "That's some workout!"

"Well," I explained as I put the kid on the floor, "I worked up to it. I used to dance to techno all the time by myself. You can't just pick a toddler up and start swinging; somebody will get hurt."

***

Last night we were watching YouTube videos, and AwesomeCloud noticed someone playing the djembe. It was, in fact, this gentleman right here: the noted physicist Dr. Richard Feynman. AwesomeCloud's hands started waving in the air in a convincing imitation of playing the djembe.

"Do you want to see a real djembe?" I asked him.

"Ahh! Ahh!" he replied. I think that was close enough to a yes.

"There's one in the closet," I told him. "Someday I will take it out and show it to you."

Actually there are three djembes in the closet. And one is very small. (I'm sure you can guess where this is going.)

1 comment: